Do you like this story?
Want to take your small business to the next level? Or maybe start your own business? We’ve researched dozens of ways for you to do just that by leveraging social media and technology. And here you’ll find a comprehensive list of those resources, whether you’re looking to incorporate new technologies like mobile credit card scanners or you want to update your business’s website.
You’ll find all of the small business resources we’ve produced in the past year broken down into categories like social media, productivity, marketing, tech and tools, geo-location and deals, HR and hiring, success stories and getting started.
Take your social media presence beyond a simple Facebook Page or company blog. Here are some ideas to inspire your business’s use of social media in 2011.
- HOW TO: Use Social Media to Connect with Other Entrepreneurs
- HOW TO: Take Advantage of Social Media in Your E-mail Marketing
- 5 Ways Small Businesses Can Avoid Social Media Panic
- 4 Myths About Social Media and Business
- Google Buzz: 5 Opportunities for Small Businesses
- 13 Essential Social Media Lessons for B2B Marketers from the Masters
- HOW TO: Use Social Media for Lead Generation
- HOW TO: Add Multimedia to Your Blog
- HOW TO: Respond when Social Media Attacks Your Brand
- Is Social Media Failing to Produce Business Leads?
- 5 Social Media Trends to Watch Right Now
- 10 Tips for Corporate Blogging
- Why Small Businesses Shouldn’t Take Social Media for Granted
- 5 Big Social Media Questions from Small Business Owners
- 4 Things Small Businesses Should Know About Facebook’s New Groups
- 7 Tips for Succeeding as a Social Media Strategist
These posts will help you find new ways to stay on track, and be as efficient and effective as possible while working with contractors like designers.
- 18 Online Productivity Tools for Your Business
- 6 Ways to Manage International Relationships Online
- HOW TO: Communicate Needs & Expectations to Web Designers
- HOW TO: Avoid Being a Disaster Client
- HOW TO: Connect with Other Entrepreneurs Online
See what trends were popular in the past year and get a little inspiration for new marketing strategies your company might pursue in the new year.
- Top 10 YouTube Tips for Small Businesses
- 4 Tips for Writing SEO-Friendly Blog Posts
- HOW TO: Optimize Your Site for Search Engine Marketing
- HOW TO: Run Your Business Online with $10 and a Google Account
- HOW TO: Manage Your Presence on Google Maps
- HOW TO: Run Location-Based Google Ads
- The State of Small Business Online Marketing Budgets [REPORT]
- 4 Misconceptions about Marketing in Social Games
- 5 Ways to Sell Your Expertise Online
Tech and Tools
The web is full of tools that will help you get the job done — and many of those tools are free. Here’s a look at what mobile, web-based and other technologies are available for your small business.
- Does Your Small Business Need an iPad?
- 4 Terrific Tools for Creating Business Web Forms
- 14 Essential iPhone Apps for Small Business Users
- 6 Best iPad Apps for Business Users
- 5 Useful iPhone Apps for Business Networking
- 5 Online Tools for Answering Your Small Business Questions
- 5 Energy Efficient Office Gadgets
- Facebook Questions: A New Opportunity for Small Business?
- 4 Reasons the Updated iPhone Is Good for Business
- 10 Free WordPress Themes for Small Businesses
- Why Small Businesses Should Care About Mobile Payments
- 5 Beautiful Tumblr Themes for Small Businesses
- 5 Ways to Use Google Voice for Your Business
- 5 Tips for Utilizing Skype for Small Business
- HOW TO: Accept Credit Card Payments on Mobile Devices
- 7 Handy iPhone Apps for Managing Employee Time
- 10 Free Drupal Themes for Small Business
- 16 Handy iPhone Apps for Better Blogging
- 5 New Online Services Perfect for Small Businesses
- 8 Tools For Easily Creating a Mobile Version of Your Website
- 23 Free, Web-Based Tools SMBs Are Asking for Now
Geo-location and Deals
Geo-location services and deals were a big hit in 2010. Maybe you’ve been thinking about incorporating them in your business? Here’s a guide to what works, what doesn’t, and tips to employing these new services.
- HOW TO: Make Your Small Business Geolocation-Ready
- Beyond Foursquare: 5 Location-Based Apps for Your Small Business
- Group Buying: Should Small Businesses Jump In?
- 5 New Ways Small Business Can Offer Location-Based Deals
- How SMBs Can Start Using Facebook Places Now
- How Online Private Sales Work and How Businesses Can Get Involved
- Are Groupon Stores and Do-It-Yourself Deals Worth the Risk?
Human Resources and Hiring
Staffing decisions can make or break a business. Here is a list of resources to help you make the right decisions, tools that can help you find ideal candidates, and ways of dealing with employee issues.
- 7 Essential Online HR Resources for Your Small Business
- 5 Tips for Using LinkedIn to Find Star Employees
- 5 Ways Small Businesses Can Leverage LinkedIn’s New Features
- HOW TO: Handle an Employee’s Controversial Online Behavior
- Should You Search Social Media Sites for Job Candidate Information?
- HOW TO: Hire a Designer or Developer
- Why Your Business Should Consider Reverse Mentorship
Advice From Experts
Perhaps no one knows better how to successfully run a business than those who have done it before. Here’s a list of resources with tips from the experts, as well as examples of successful uses of new technology.
- Growing Your Business: 5 Tips From the Founder of Foursquare
- Growing Your Business: 5 Tips From the Founder of Blip.tv
- How 12 CEOs & Founders are Leveraging Web Video
- 15 Excellent Corporate Blogs to Learn From
- 13 Branded Mobile Apps That Got It Right
- 3 Ways Small Businesses are Investing in Social Good
Wondering where to begin? Or where to get funding for your big idea? Here are some resources to set you on the right path.